Choosing a Contractor
Choose wisely. Choose well.
In selecting a chimney contractor, it is crucial to research potential providers before hiring them to perform annual inspections or related chimney services. The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommends that homeowners hire CSIA-certified chimney sweeps, because proper care by the right contractor can help protect your home from unnecessary fires and carbon monoxide poisonings. In addition to hiring a CSIA-certified company, ask the following questions to ensure that the service provider is a credible service technician:
- How many years has the company been in business?
- Can the company offer 2-3 current references?
- Does the provider have any unresolved complaints filed with a city or state consumer protection agency or with the Better Business Bureau?
- Does the provider have valid business liability insurance to protect your home and property in case of accidents?
- Will there be a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep on your job site?
- Is your contractor registered with the State Division of Consumer Affairs?
- Will the company acquire all required permits?